Forums General Discussion Hauling and Blocking a 424

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Doyle 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before, but I can’t seem to find it through the search. I’m hauling my boat and putting her on blocks for winter storage tomorrow. This is my first time doing this with this boat.

I have heard I have to be careful to only block the forward and aft sections of the keel and not the center. Are there any other considerations when hauling and blocking 424’s for storage?

Thanks so much in advance for any help – and my apologies if this info is in other places, I just can’t seem to track it down.

Ryan
    Juniper #206
    1983 424 Ketch
    Brooklyn, NY

typhoontye
    Participant

Hello Ryan,

I’ve hauled my boat once. No problems. The only caution I am aware of is to NOT block under the hollow part of the keel. We installed a support under the forward end of the keel and had no troubles. I don’t know about a support under the aft end of the keel. We did not do that and had no problems. Knowing what little I know, I don’t think I would put anything under the aft end of the keel. Don’t think it is necessary, and may be detrimental. Other than that, block is like any other vessel.

David
    Blue Moon, #189

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

Great. Thank you very much David. Really appreciate the help.

Ryan
    Juniper #206
    1983 424 Ketch
    Brooklyn, NY

Warren Stringer
    Participant

Hi Ryan,

Be sure the boatyard knows where your propeller is and places the aft lifting strap behind it. This is particularly an issue if you have a folding prop – there is not a lot of wiggle room there. Ask me how I know!!

Warren Stringer
    s/v Adagio
    P424 # 149, 1981
    On the hard in Deltaville, VA

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

Hi Warren,

Yikes! That sound a like zero fun. Thank you for the heads-up.

Ryan
    Juniper #206
    1983 424 Ketch
    Brooklyn, NY

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.