Forums General Discussion Lost a Chainplate during Irma

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Revery 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

Revery

Well, we thought we’d come through Irma unscathed, but I just found out otherwise.
    I got to Revery last night (I’m now a liveaboard) and all looked well except for some evidence of water intrusion on the SB side. I didn’t think much of it as I’ve had a leaky chainplate in the past and figured it started up again. This morning, I noticed that a lot more water than usual had gotten in and as I was moving cushions, I glanced out the SB aft settee port only to see a rectangular hole where the SB aft lower chainplate should have been. See pic.

I’ll post more later, but thank the gods that we weren’t sailing when it gave way! Now to order the stock and find a machine shop.

Evan
    Revery #219

Attachments:
    1. SB aft lower after Irma

robshookphoto
    Participant

I just replaced all my chainplates and the old ones aren’t that bad. If you want to kick the can down the road until you replace them all at once one you can have one – I will actually thinking about repurposing two myself for aft chainplates for the Jordan series drogue I plan on getting.

They look bad in the photo but I didn’t actually find any pitting or cracks.

Out with the old. #pearson424

A post shared by Robert Carpenter Shook (@robshookphoto) on

Pearson 424 cutter - "Effie"

Revery

Thanks a lot, Rob! Yours do look a far sight better than mine. See the picture of my port forward.
    However, I just ordered the flat stock and hardware this afternoon and visited a great little shop that will drill and round the ends for very little money. I’m going to have them do my backstay and stem fitting as well. I should be able to get away with less than $750, all told. Thankfully, I don’t have a mizzen and my stays’l fitting is in great shape. I knew this job was coming…

Evan
    Revery #219

Attachments:
    1. Port Forward Lower Chainplate

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.