Forums General Discussion rebedding stantions

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  typhoontye 1 week, 2 days ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #223939

    Windward Star
    Participant

    I’ve begun to rebed my stantions. After removing the first one I was pleasantly surprised to find a solid core!(see pic) I’ve done a fair amount of rebeding of hardware on my last boat and have always had success with the Compass Marine method; oversize hole filled with thickened epoxy, and butyl tape for water proofing. My question is; the stantions on my boat, and I’m assuming all 424’s, have a rubber gasket between the stantion base and the deck. Apparently this gasket has been doing its’ job despite looking very rotted along the outter edges. I noticed that my stantion bases are not flat, they’re a little cupped and suspect the rubber gasket filled in the uneven base well enough. Do you think a couple layers of butyl tape will be as successful keeping water out? Have any of you found the same with your stantion bases?

    Attachments:
    1. IMG_5959-1.jpg

  • #223941

    typhoontye
    Participant

    When I did mine (all of them), I too found less rot and damage than I expected, based on all the gel coat cracking. In my case, I ground out all the stanchion area glass and balsa down to the bottom layer of glass. Then built up with solid glass, finished, and ultimately refinished all the non-skid. Perhaps overkill on my part, but I wanted to get rid of all the visible cracks. Looks great now (did the job a couple of years ago)

    Yes, I did find the stanchion bases not perfectly flat. Perhaps I took the easy way out, but I simply used 4000 or 4200 between the deck and the bottom of the stanchion base plate. Lightly torqued, then final torque after a few days. Looks good, no unsightly cracked rubber gasket sticking out, and apparently effective. No leaks after several years, and no deck/gel coat cracking. I suspect your butyl tape would work fine too.

    I did replace the backing plates when I did the job. It was cheap and easy to use 3/16″ aluminum plate, with SS oversize washers. SS backing plates would be better, but there you have it. I think it is better than what was there when the boat left the factory.

    David
    Blue Moon, #189

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.