Forums General Discussion Sloop vs Ketch vs Cutter

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Warren 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Keth Comollo
    Participant

In another thread Rich Carter said . . .

“Except for perhaps the last year of production, the sloop and tall ketch have the same main mast and boom. The only difference is that the sloop lacks the mizzen. The cutter has the mast a bit further aft but it is also the same. The last year or so of production they made the cutter and sloop the same.”

Wasn’t the mast moved back on the sloop model as well? Or is the sloop just the same J measurement (bow to mast) as the ketch?

If so are there any owners of the sloop who report lee helm issues?

I know there were many rig dimensions for the 424 but always assumed the mast on the sloop was farther aft to balance the helm.

Please enlighten me!

Regards,
    Keth

RichCarter
    Participant

I have a 1978 Sloop. She is identical to the tall ketch, and even has bulkheads glassed in for the mizzen chain-plates and the cockpit sole is reinforced. If I wanted a ketch, I could just add the mizzen and of course spend the boat-units on the mast and hardware. I don’t find any lee helm issue. I’ve thought about adding the mizzen but I’m not convinced that she would sail any better and the cost to purchase the mizzen is substantial. I don’t think she would point as well with the mizzen, mostly because I’d lose the backstay tensioner. I’d also lose room in the cockpit that is currently big to host a square-dance.

Attachments:
    1. DSCF0084.jpg

Keth Comollo
    Participant

Thank you Rich! That changes a few of our options going forward. Appreciate the explanation.

Cheers,
    Keth

Keth Comollo
    Participant

One last question. Of all the boats on the market none mention being a tall rigged ketch. Is there any defining characteristic that would help to spot tall rigs on ketches?

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

If this is true, it makes me wonder if we have this so called “tall ketch”. Anyone have the measurements for the “tall” ketch vs “short”?

I believe our mainmast is around 48’.

Ryan and Kathleen
    Juniper
    1983 Ketch
    New York

RichCarter
    Participant

I think the “tall” description is a bit out of place. There are no tall 424’s. There’s really a standard 424 and a short 424, the difference being 48′ vs 44′. Sailmakers list them as Tall-Mast vs standard however so when looking for measurements bear that in mind. I suspect that the shorter rig is for folks that need to get under a bridge such as the Okeechobee RR bridge.

Rich

Chris Warren
    Participant

Found this in our Pearson book.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpg

2. image-1.jpg

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.