Forums Announcements stern rail

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rock Richardson 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Rock Richardson
    Participant

I would like to remove the inverted “V” and add in two sections of perpendicular pipes .so to make an opening for the ladder instead of having to climb over it when accessing the stern is this possible ?

RichCarter
    Participant

Many years ago I met a couple that had cut-out the aft section of the cockpit, making his 424 into a walk-thru. If you have enough time and money, you can do just about anything. I can’t guess what this would cost.

It would be fairly reasonable to just cut out part of the push-pit and add a permanent transom ladder. More than that and you’re in for serious bucks. If you cut the push-pit, you may have to put a gate in for insurance purposes, a good idea in any case. I wouldn’t even consider cutting out part of the transom. I’ve taken waves over what’s there already.

Rich

424 person
    Participant

Many years ago I met a couple that had cut-out the aft section of the cockpit, making his 424 into a walk-thru. If you have enough time and money, you can do just about anything. I can’t guess what this would cost.

It would be fairly reasonable to just cut out part of the push-pit and add a permanent transom ladder. More than that and you’re in for serious bucks. If you cut the push-pit, you may have to put a gate in for insurance purposes, a good idea in any case. I wouldn’t even consider cutting out part of the transom. I’ve taken waves over what’s there already.

Rich

424 person
    Participant

What I did with stern rail was to cut in half and move to shear. Added 5” to outboard legs and added third leg to inboard end. Ended up with 20” gap and cleaned up cockpit coamimg. This spring will be cutting transom open at seat level to create easy access to stern ladder. Needed to core area where ladder is through bolted, since 424 was never meant to have a structural transom. Also be attaching backstay to transom, this opening up cockpit coaming even more.

Also moved all stantion bases to shear opening up walkway. These I glassed knees underneath and split jib tracks. Just trying to modernize an almost 40 year old boat.

Rock Richardson
    Participant

not sure what you mean by shear. any pics ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.