Forums General Discussion W60 fresh water pump

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  RichCarter 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

cstewart
    Participant

I know most of you don’t still have the old W60, but almost all of you know lots of stuff about them. Can someone give me any comforting news that I may be able to find a fresh-water-pump or parts for rebuild for this W60 beast. Im at a loss, and afraid of what I am reading about their scarcity. Does anyone have a part number for pump or kit?
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    OneEighty #54

skipmac
    Participant

Hi Charlie,

I learned that the W58 is the exact same engine as a Perkins 4.154 and read somewhere that the W60 is the same engine as the W58. Not sure if this is true or not but I bought a Perkins fresh water pump from a tractor dealer in Iowa that is a perfect fit. The only differences I found, blue paint instead of red and almost $200 cheaper.

skipmac
    Participant

Hi Charlie. Checked part numbers online for some standard parts for a W60 and a W58 and the ones I found didn’t match. I’m starting to think that contrary to a couple of comments I’ve seen on the net a W60 and a W58 are different blocks and totally different parts.

A couple of the standard \westerbeke parts suppliers show the fresh water pump as no longer available. Looks like your options are to try to rebuild the one you have or figure out what block Westerbeke used for the W60 and find a generic.

If you rebuild usually new seals and bearings are all it takes and those are 99% of the time standard items and available from industrial supply houses.

Seawater
    Participant

Hi.

The W60 is a BMC engine (2520 as I recall), exactly the same as powers the Autin FX4 British taxicab. Parts are fairly available still, at least they were two years ago when I needed them.

They are also typical of the British narrowboats, typically marinized by Thornycroft marine.

Attached, please find the Thornycroft manual, which is rich in detail. Specs, rebuild instructions, etc.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/ supplied me with a new water pump for about $150 a few years ago. I didn’t see them in stock during a quick review of the site.

Seawater
    Participant

PS. Hang onto any nuts bolts and screws! They are really weird sizes, and only available from specialty fastener shops. Seemingly only vintage motorcycle ppl have even heard of this standard. You can re-tap some of them to a standard 8mm metric thread, but don’t unless you have to. (since they are only off by 1 thread every inch or more there is onlya small loss of strength, but then you have to remember which you tapped)

Seawater
    Participant

Two more things.

Let me know how you make out, I may want to buy a spare; and I have new and used glow plugs, should you need them. They come and go WRT availability.

skipmac
    Participant

PS. Hang onto any nuts bolts and screws! They are really weird sizes, and only available from specialty fastener shops. Seemingly only vintage motorcycle ppl have even heard of this standard. You can re-tap some of them to a standard 8mm metric thread, but don’t unless you have to. (since they are only off by 1 thread every inch or more there is onlya small loss of strength, but then you have to remember which you tapped)

Are you perhaps referring to Whitworth standards? That was used on older UK motorcycles as well as the infamous Seagull outboard. If so, that engine is based on a pretty antiquated block. It is a good, solid engine but Whitworth?

Discoverie
    Participant

I checked with discount marine. It’s not cheap, but this is what they replied:

Hello Roger,

Thank you for your voicemail.

The correct pump for the W60 is part 17752.

http://discountmarinesource.com/p-1234-westerbeke-pump-fresh-water-17752-017752.asp

Thank You,
    Brian Willis
    TOAD Customer Service Department
    http://www.TOADMarineSupply.com

Discoverie
    Participant
    Charlie,
    Did you check discount marine?
    for the 63B four and the 63C four they list this: Westerbeke, Pump, Fresh Water, 32213, 032213

you might give Discount Marine a call, they have a good collections of Westerbeke parts and might be able to confirm.
    Roger

RichCarter
    Participant

Most owners have tossed the old W60 many years ago.  The old engines were gobbled up for spare parts by the few who still have them.  Someone must still have an old W60 fresh water pump.

If that fails, a good auto service shop should be able to rebuild an old pump.  I used Ideal Transmissions in Salem MA many years ago.

Rich

Lawrence Michaels
    Participant
    Call a westerbeke  dealer price is approximately 900.00. Their is no rebuild kit.
    Sent from my MetroPCS 4G Wireless Phone
    ——–

RichCarter
    Participant

I think the W60 is a Leyland 154.

Rich

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.