Forums General Discussion W60 thermostat housing

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Seawater 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Adam
    Participant

Anyone have a thermostat housing for the Westerbeke 60? I found a couple of places online, but they don’t have one…and are waiting on westerbeke to make one. That could be a while. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Adam

RichCarter
    Participant

Adam,

As I recall, when I had a W60, I was able to find replacement thermostat gaskets at the local auto parts store.  This implies that there must be a popular car out there with a thermostat housing that is close to what you need.  If you can’t find a replacement, you might bring what you have to a good auto parts dealer and ask him if he can help.

Rich

1 user thanked author for this post.

Warren Stringer
    Participant

I'm afraid I have a W58.

Warren

1 user thanked author for this post.

Adam
    Participant

Thank you Rich and Warren.
    I went to the auto parts store, but was unable to find a match. I found a gasket, but could not match the housing. It was a great idea…What is the actual block producer of the W 60 anyway?

Every time I have trouble finding a part, I rethink my decision not to repower. The only thing stopping besides the money aspect is the engine starts quickly every time.

I just preventively replaced heat exchanger, oil and transmission coolers, all hoses, fuel filters.

Has anyone switched over to synthetic oil yet?

Any old Westerbeke 60 left for parts?

Ben Frothingham
    Participant

RichCarter
    Participant

Adam,

It’s a Leyland engine.  I don’t remember the model number. 

One would think if they can find the gasket, they can cross-reference it to the block it came from.  Try a different auto parts store.  There’s nothing special about a thermostat housing.  If the fasteners are in the right place the thing should fit.

Rich

JodyandStephen
    Participant
    Perhaps try a UK based parts supplier, for a 54hp[or thereabouts] BMC Leyland diesel.  Parts will be a fraction of the price. No, Westerbeke will not provide a matching part number.  
    Here is a site that will probably supply the part you want. 
    Perhaps buy a gasket first to see if it fits.
    We repowered to a Beta 50, whilst we are back here in Australia.  Cost [in $US]  $11,500 for the motor [5 year warranty], inclusive of velvet drive adapter, and options, and $1,700 for removing the old motor, installing the new and aligning the full drive.  Dont beleive “double the price of the motor for fitting”. Sold the old Westerbeke 60. 
    Couldn’t be happier with the upgrade, and I can buy [Kubota] engine parts everywhere globally, easily, and so much more cheaper than westerbeke. Plus Beta publish the Kubota part numbers.
    Hope this helps
    Stephen Parry
    S.V. Blue Pelican

Seawater
    Participant

The engine is a BMC 2520 typical of the Classic British FX4 taxicab. ASAP has been a good source for me. Another is KIP

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=kipmotor&category=Taxi+Engine+Cylinder+Head&cart_id=18807.7054&exchange=&exact_match=exact

Seawater
    Participant

Oh, I forgot, thorneycroft marine also marinized that engine, if you search ebay and the like, you may want to search for Thorneycroft parts as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.