Forums General Discussion What refrigeration setup do you have?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Doyle 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

Hi all,

We are (finally) considering installing refrigeration aboard Juniper. I’m curious with our large ice boxes what refrigeration units have worked well.

I would rather do air cooled than water cooled.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Patrick Price
    Participant

Hey Ryan,
    Check out the coolblue by Technautics. We love it. Keeps the bottom of our icebox below freezing and keeps the beers cold anywhere else. We’ve still yet to upgrade the insulation so that alone should speak for itself!
    http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/CoolBlue_Parts_Pricing.html
    -Patrick
    SV Ruca Hull 150

rdugger
    Participant

I removed the engine driven cold plates 12 years ago and installed a Frigoboat 12v air cooled system. It has served us well.
    Rick
    Eclipse

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

Hi Rick and Patrick. Thanks very much. I’ll look into both units. Did you modify your iceboxes at all?

Also, I’m looking into sizing the units and I’m estimating our ice box volume to be more than 10 cubic feet. Do you know what size ice box your units are designed to cool?

Thanks again for the info!

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

Juniper is a plan C ketch. Not sure if fridge sizes varied between boat layouts.

Chris Warren
    Participant

We are on Jubilee a Plan C cutter and are also taking bids on refrigeration now. Our ice box had been modified with a 2 inch or so purple type insulation. The problem was that there is a drain underneath that was clogged and not working so it developed an odor as water became trapped underneath the foam. We removed all the foam and now the measured cubic feet according to one tech who is putting together a bid for us is 13 cubic feet. We had an Alder Barbor with the ice box and want to go with a cold plate system that has two cold plates. We should have some bids back soon and will let you know what systems they are suggesting. Apparently there is a switch on this Plan C under the sink that allows the ice box to drain if water melts in it but ours was non functional. It supposedly works by using the foot pump?

Bryan Bywalec
    Keymaster

Juniper is a plan C ketch. Not sure if fridge sizes varied between boat layouts.

Is there a Plan C Ketch? I thought they were all cutters. Do you have the galley to starboard? Just curious.

We have a plan C and a “SEA FROST BD 12 with AEO” air cooled system and I don’t have any complaints although haven’t gotten to the energy audit part of the refit yet.

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

We are on Jubilee a Plan C cutter and are also taking bids on refrigeration now. Our ice box had been modified with a 2 inch or so purple type insulation. The problem was that there is a drain underneath that was clogged and not working so it developed an odor as water became trapped underneath the foam. We removed all the foam and now the measured cubic feet according to one tech who is putting together a bid for us is 13 cubic feet. We had an Alder Barbor with the ice box and want to go with a cold plate system that has two cold plates. We should have some bids back soon and will let you know what systems they are suggesting. Apparently there is a switch on this Plan C under the sink that allows the ice box to drain if water melts in it but ours was non functional. It supposedly works by using the foot pump?

Interesting. Thanks for the reply Chris. I’d be really curious to see your quote. Just curious why you are going with two cold plates? Are you doing a separate fridge and freezer section? Or does the volume of the box require two?

Ryan Doyle
    Participant

Is there a Plan C Ketch? I thought they were all cutters. Do you have the galley to starboard? Just curious.

We have a plan C and a “SEA FROST BD 12 with AEO” air cooled system and I don’t have any complaints although haven’t gotten to the energy audit part of the refit yet.

Hmm… I believe it’s called a “plan c”, though I could be wrong. Galley is to starboard, we don’t have the second companionway, we have enclosed aft berth with its own head, and she’s definitely got two masts 😉

I’ll attach some photos here. She is a 1983.

Attachments:
    1. 68AC57B9-557B-4482-9BDA-5303F54B6080.jpeg

2. B6E3C625-7F51-42D8-86E2-F0780B064B33.jpeg

3. 7BB73FFF-F37D-4A65-B92B-068FB04F2079.jpeg

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.