Forums › General Discussion › Reinforcing the V-Berth / Battens / Ceiling Boards › Reply To: Reinforcing the V-Berth / Battens / Ceiling Boards
Just been through this process but slightly different.
The removal of liner, sanding and grinding is all the same. Very messy!
1) I noticed that the shelves had both broken away from hull toward the bow.
2) Removed shelving as I was going to stiffen from the bunk and upwards of the shelf but since reading that the shelf is ‘structural’, it was probably best to leave it attached to the hull
3) Put the shelf back with quadraxial fabric above and below the hull attachment. Added a bracket between the shelf and anchor locker
4) Followed Bill Shaw’s advice but chose foam core in five sections rather than a single balsa panel.
5) Added vertical strips (4 off) to form box sections. Used 600gsm quadraxial fabric
6) Glued in 12mm foam core between the strips.
7) Covered everything with two layers of quadraxial 600gsm fabric
8) Re-lined with vinyl
Looking forward to a test run.
Definitely not on my list of to-do-again jobs!