Forums General Discussion Bilge Fuel Tank?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Dunphyje
      Participant

All..
      I finally arrived at the point where I suspect that my original fuel tank is leaking..
      I’m thinking that I will have to remove the engine and remove the original tank as detailed here on the site..
      However I am seriously thinking of not replacing the original tank but to instead build a fiberglass tank in the mostly unused bilge area under the floor in the main cabin forward of the deep area of the bilge..
      I looked on this site for information from someone who had done such a project to see what the issues would be.. but could not find any..
      Does anyone know if this has been done or perhaps have any opinion as to the feasibility of this?
      Help working thru this idea would be great..
      Thanks
      John
      Mela

sumocean
      Participant

Pete on Regina Oceani built a fuel tank under the saloon floor and put a SCUBA compressor in the original tank location. The install is detailed on Blue Water Sailing Magazine February 2011

Dunphyje
      Participant

Thanks for the reply.. I’ll try and google for that article..
      I thought I saw the same thing on this site but could not find it..
      I really don’t want to have to pull the engine and tank and all the hassle that entails..
      But will do if I have to.. just looking for other approaches..
      I also looked at pulling the tank out thru the cock pit locker and think it could be done with a little bit of saws all and then fiberglass work..
      John

sumocean
      Participant

I can’t remember which boat did it but I know one of the 424s had Deatons boat yard cut the tank up and took it out through the sail lockers

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.