Forums Announcements Engine noise and vibration

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Smola
      Participant

Asking around to see what people have done to minimize the sound of their westerners? Secondly, any suggestions on where vibration may live at lower rpm’s?
      Thanks’ mike

unabated
      Participant

On the W58 it’s most likely the damper player. The plate wears, the springs loosen up or fall out.
      Easy to change out. But the OEM one is pretty stiff. I used the one from PYI which has pylomer synthetic springs. Very happy with it. Many hours on it now.
      Alan
      Unabated

RichCarter
      Participant

I put sound insulation on the inside of the engine cover, sides and lid. I found that a lot of noise was still coming up above the engine box behind the bridge deck. As I recall, I put a piece of wood in there to cut off that noise. This improved engine noise but it was still annoying. The thing that most improved noise was a complete repower. This included a whole new exhaust system. My old W60 beast was a noisy engine.

As for vibration at low RPM, could your engine mounts need replacing?

Rich

typhoontye
      Participant

I changed my engine mounts (isolators) with parts sourced from Bushings Inc. I bought the ones specified for the W55/4-154 (Perkins). Improved matters but still bothersome. I spoke with Bushings Inc (they were responsive and nice) and it was suggested I try the bushings for the 4-108. Softer rubber but reportedly dimensionally the same. I never did it, but might make a difference.

Interesting comment from Unabated on the damper plate. I have changed mine (due to disintegration) but I don’t think that helped the vibration issues. Perhaps the PYI unit would have done a better job. Interested in hearing from others who have experience in this area…

Blue Moon damaged by Sally in Pensacola. An ill-prepared vessel to windward, with roller furling sails set, blew down on our vessel and proceeded to grind away. Thankfully this is all fixable and we look forward to returning our vessel to it’s previous glory.

David
      Blue Moon, #189

unabated
      Participant

When I had the engine out to fix a bent strut, I changed out the old worn damper plate. The springs where sitting in the bottom of the bell housing. I put a new plate in from Westerbeke.
      That is when the noise got worse. Another new plate did the same thing. That’s when I talked to the boys at PYI. Smooth as silk now. Immediate difference. Some say a tranny rebuild might help but wouldn’t guarantee it. An expensive venture with no guarantee that it would fix the issues.
      The PYI plate did the trick. Easy job to do on your own. If your drive shaft both are not rusted in.
      Hope that helps
      Alan
      Unabated

typhoontye
      Participant

Thanks for the input on PYI, Unabated. Sounds pretty unequivocal. I may perform this mod on down the road.

David

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.