Forums General Discussion Mast mounted mainsail halyard winch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      typhoontye
      Participant

I’m looking to replace the mast mounted halyard winch. The current installation is a two-speed Lewmar, non-self tailing. Size 16. We are looking for a self-tailing replacement in a size 16, with no luck thus far. Lewmar sells a single speed self tailing winch, but I like the two speed for that little extra luff tension. Has anyone faced this conundrum?

Thanks!

David
      Blue Moon, #189

typhoontye
      Participant

Let me back up a little and provide some background info on my question: We obtained a new Lewmar 16, self tailing winch for the mainsail halyard. Mast mounted. It was to replace the aged, probably original, Lewmar 16 that is currently in that position. It is a non- self tailer. Basically, we got in a bit of a hurry and overlooked the fact that we were buying a single speed winch to replace a two speed model. I’m reluctant to mount the new single speed to see if it is sufficient because then I can’t in good conscience try to return it if I don’t like it. Sooo, if someone out there is using a single speed and is happy with it’s ability to provide sufficient luff tension on the main without busting a gut, I’d like to know that. Or, if someone is using something else that works well I would like to know that as well. I do plan on sticking with the mast mounted location….not interested in leading the halyard back to the cockpit.
      Thanks!

David

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.