Forums Announcements New Owner Hull #122

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Neil Mcnamara
      Participant

G’day to all,

My name is Neil (Brisbane Australia) and I am the new owner of Blue Pelican (Hull #122), well new owner since March last year.

Some of you may know that Blue Pelican has already circumnavigated with her previous owners and is now resting up for a little while in Brisbane whilst I do some minor refit work & TLC before she sets off again (we’ll see how far we go)

Spent a bit of time already on the site looking at some of the projects previously documented and picked up some good ideas.

So far we have:-

Replace sheet winches
      Replaced all hatches
      Replaced all ports
      Replaced the headliner
      Replaced the internal side panels (where the ports are)
      Removed the Diesel Heater
      Installed New Solar Vent
      New Bilge Pump
      LED Lights

“Some” bigger jobs still to do:-

Lithium Battery System
      New Bimini & Dodger
      New Boom Bag
      Composting Head (controversial I know)
      New Nav & Communication Electronics
      Replace Cap Rails
      2nd Anchor Roller

Smaller Jobs to do:-

Too Many – it’s a BOAT!!!!

Anyway – glad to be on board here.

Regards
      Neil

Ben Frothingham
      Participant

Welcome Neil,
      Sounds like you jumped in to the deep end of the pool! I am interested in what you did with the overhead. Do you have any photos? I am just embarking on that project and considering 1/4 inch thick vinyl bead board to give a bright, easily cleanable, water proof surface. Also, wondering if you saw the recent posts on the propane system. The original installations were sketchy and deserve a close look for safety.
      Thanks,
      Ben

kalinowski
      Participant

Aloha Neil: let me know if you plan on visiting Hawai’i. We keep our 424 ketch Jolly Lama there on O’ahu.

Dan Kalinowski
      Jolly Lama #135
      Honolulu

Bryan Bywalec
      Keymaster

Welcome! My wife and I have a P424 Cutter and added both a Air Head composting head (love it, would never go back to a holding tank) and LiFePo4 batteries. We built our own 12v 600AH battery pack from CALB cells and they are a game changer. There is a bit of a learning curve to make sure you get the maximum lifespan but we’d also never go back to lead-acid unless I wasn’t a full time sailor.

You can see the before and after here.

This wasn’t quite finished so excuse the lack of cable organization.

Vigari, who is lurking around here somewhere, also went full electric propulsion with custom drop-in LiFePO4s direct from China.

-----
      Bryan Bywalec
      S/V Pelican, Hull 209
      Siren Engineering, LLC

Idyll Ours
      Participant

Hey Neil, we have a sloop rig version (#125) up here in Ontario doing various projects as time and funding permit during our brief season. I was down under 6 years ago and met Dennis on board Miss Kathleen across the Tasman in Auckland, he has documented some of his projects here as well. I believe he summarized his hard dodger as well as some others, he has done some very nice work on his ketch.

Ben Frothingham
      Participant

I would be interested in seeing Miss Kathleen’s hard dodger photos but the link to Google Plus is no longer active. Does anyone have them?

Bryan Bywalec
      Keymaster

I would be interested in seeing Miss Kathleen’s hard dodger photos but the link to Google Plus is no longer active. Does anyone have them?

Took a little bit but I did eventually get the photos. I’ve added them to the new Dodger article on the wiki.

https://wiki.pearson424.org/index.php/Dodger

-----
      Bryan Bywalec
      S/V Pelican, Hull 209
      Siren Engineering, LLC

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.