Forums Announcements New Website and Forum: General Requirements

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

All,

Since we’ve opened up the conversation on the topic, and I’m getting my engineering team up to speed on what we’re trying to accomplish, I thought it would be great to reach out to the community for input on our new site and forum.

General requirements I’ve gathered and begun to flesh out are:

1. Email is the primary interface for many people. We should maintain this functionality and enhance it to include daily and weekly digests so that people can choose to have some quiet time.
      2. Limits on image sizes impede our ability to share our experiences. We’ll drop these in favor of unfettered communication!
      3. Donate button for Paypal donations to help cover costs
      4. Page for each vessel – with easy way of updating info and photos.
      5. Index of projects (many of you have these on your sites, but it would be nice to have a directory)
      6. Search across the whole site using tag cloud or similar.
      7. Easy way to sign up, or to use existing credentials (if you have a wordpress login, this should be really easy)
      8. Classified section for gear and boats
      9. Forums accessible through the site but also through email.
      10. Legacy content is easy to access – this is our old content as well as the histories on the forums.
      11. Mobile compatibility so that we can access the site and post etc from our mobile phones (this is a feature of many of the newer website templates, so is generally easy to accomplish)

I am open to comments, concerns and questions. The more dialog we have, the better the result!

Ewan

Sent from my iPhone

https://pearson424.org/mailman/listinfo/maillist_pearson424.org

Post generated from Pearson424 Forum using Mail2Forum

Cindy Stein
      Participant

Ewan, I think all the things you listed are great. I just wanted a way to add pics to the forum, but now that we are going down this new road I thing it’s great! About time it was updated. The member list is really out of date. Probably because some members don’t update it. Some are deceased, some boats sold, etc. regarding pay pal donations, I think some compensation for your time is appropriate, however it would be nice to have a way to monitor how much is donated. Could you tell us a bit about yourself? I may have missed it. How long have you owned your 424? What state do you live in? Anything else you feel like adding? Thanks, Cindy

Anonymous

Start of attached email. Subject: Re: New Website and Forum: General Requirements

Ewan, I think all the things you listed are great. I just wanted a way to add pics to the forum, but now that we are going down this new road I thing it’s great! About time it was updated. The member list is really out of date. Probably because some members don’t update it. Some are deceased, some boats sold, etc. regarding pay pal donations, I think some compensation for your time is appropriate, however it would be nice to have a way to monitor how much is donated. Could you tell us a bit about yourself? I may have missed it. How long have you owned your 424? What state do you live in? Anything else you feel like adding? Thanks, Cindy

Island Bound 424 #31

End of attached email

Cindy Stein
      Participant

I’d be happy to send boat pics but I can only send via email at this point, until the new website forum is working. I haven’t been able to join the mailing list. Tor took a great pic from a hill of 4 424’s in Big Majors a few years ago. Maybe he’ll post it. Thanks again, Cindy

Anonymous

Start of attached email. Subject: Re: New Website and Forum: General Requirements

I’d be happy to send boat pics but I can only send via email at this point, until the new website forum is working. I haven’t been able to join the mailing list. Tor took a great pic from a hill of 4 424’s in Big Majors a few years ago. Maybe he’ll post it. Thanks again, Cindy

Island Bound 424 #31

End of attached email

Anonymous

Cindy!

Thanks for being clear about your needs. 

Of course. I’ve owned my boat since September of last year, when I bought #18 as an insurance salvage – she was holed in hurricane Sandy. I am on the road 100% of my time, coaching organizations on how to be better places for people to work. Needless to say, that keeps me very busy. My boat is currently in southern MA, but I get back there only infrequently to work on her. I am presently converting her to an electric motor, and basically replacing all the systems. 

My time is free – its the other (hosting, customization etc) costs. Honestly, I’m comfortable footing the bill, but its always validating that the community supports the effort. I know Pat was basically doing all the work herself…

To be transparent, we could do the donations through Patreon – that way it shows exactly what is donated! Or I could set up a PayPal account exclusively for the purposes of the community.

Ewan

– 
      Ewan O’Leary
      Agile Coach
      Find Your Purpose
      +1.617.300.0665

On October 16, 2015 at 1:58:11 PM, Cindy Stein via maillist () wrote:

Island Bound 424 #31

Anonymous

Need a few more 424s 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
      On Oct 16, 2015, at 17:58, wrote:

Hello Cindy & Tor – Let’s create that PIC again!

On the way……………….
      pic attached for the group

~~~ ~ (_~~ (_~ ~ ~ fair winds ~ ~ (_
      Bill Tice , aboard s/v CHARISMA, HULL # 118

In a message dated 10/16/2015 8:40:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      writes:

Hi Cindy,

I don’t know how to “post” photos on the site, but here
      (attached) is the shot you referred to, taken March 12, 2012, at
      Big Majors Cay, Exumas, Bahamas. Only three 424’s, though. From
      left to right; mine, Bill Tyce’s and yours, a fine 424 turnout in
      a beautiful place. I’m aiming to be back there again in a few
      months.

Tor

Silverheels, P-424 #17
      http://www.silverheels.us

Original Message

Cindy Stein
      Participant

Hi Tor and Bill. I am trying to join the mail group, but so far unsuccessful. I can’t see the pic of our boats in Big Majors on the website, of course, until the new site is up. SO, could you sent the pic to me personally, I’d love to print it and frame it. Email is: isbound@aol.com. Thanks, cindy

Anonymous

Hi Tor and Bill. I am trying to join the mail group, but so far unsuccessful. I can’t see the pic of our boats in Big Majors on the website, of course, until the new site is up. SO, could you sent the pic to me personally, I’d love to print it and frame it. Email is: . Thanks, cindy

Island Bound 424 #31

End of attached email

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.