Forums General Discussion RV-26 V-drive installation question

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      brenhass
      Participant

Good evening everyone, I am attempting to install my new rv26 in place of the old rv20 on my 424 “Anastasia.” Ive read most of the posts here about it and my main question which I cannot find addressed is how do you determine where to bolt the new mounts? I understand that either you need completey new mounts fabricated (as SV Sarah), or use the angle bracket supplied with the rv26 and mount it on top of fabricated plates (as SV Blacksheep), but with new bolt hole patterns for the new mounts, how do you determine where to even properly mount the thing? I dont want to have pieces fabricated only to realize i was a bit off and it wont work.

Thanks!
      Brendan

RichCarter
      Participant

Brendan
      Does this answer your questions?
      http://www.richardcarter.net/repower/Vdrive.html
      Rich

brenhass
      Participant

Rich, I read and re read both your write ups on the v drive (for the rebuild and the rv26) and my query was basically how to determine where to drill the mount holes on my fabricated base plates since I cannot use the old base plate mounting holes as a basis to go off of. I spoke with someone at walter this morning and they said that once the base plate is installed, basically place the v drive on it (with the angle mounts provided – but without thw bridge and base plates provided) and then line it up with the prop shaft as close as possible – and then mark and drill out the mounting holes or drill them out in place. I was hoping to be able to mark it and take it to a machine shop with a drill press simply because that sounds alot easier than drilling it out myself (but i will if necessary). I would oversize the mount holes a bit to have some play for alignment. Is that how you determined where to drill for your mounting bolts when you installed thw rv26 on your fabricated base plates?
      Thanks

RichCarter
      Participant

It’s been a while since I did this but as I recall, I mounted the base plates and side-bolted them to the pan. If you look closely at the photo, you can see one of the mounting bolts under the V-drive on the right side. I had to use locktite medium to keep them from loosening up. I set the v-drive in place and marked the position for the holes then removed the stuff and welded nuts to the bottom side. Welding isn’t necessary but it helps with the whole job because the nuts won’t fall into the bilge. A case of beer to a buddy who has a welder might get it done. Use steel nuts, not stainless or zinc plated if you weld. Everything else is stainless.

A drill-press and good set of bits is needed for a job like this. If you try to do this by hand, you’ll likely be off when you drill. I read that you don’t have one. Harbor freight sells one for about $70 plus about $20 for bits. If you have room in your home to store it, you’ll find all kinds of uses for it. A drop of oil on the drill tip saves the bit.

brenhass
      Participant

Thanks for all the info – getting started today!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.