Forums General Discussion Seacocks update

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      rdugger
      Participant

Chuck
      The silicone must have been the thing to do back in the day.
      When I pulled all my seacocks and replaced them, they were all in silicone too..
      Rick
      On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Chuck Ruble < ([email][/email])> wrote:

I pulled the last of the seacocks out that I planned to tackle this spring.  The last two were 1.5 inchers and both were seized to the thru-hull.  I used a dremel to take the mushroom off at the hull exterior.  The old Perko (on the left) is actually in pretty good shape and will go back in along with the rest after cleanup.  It as I imagine the remaining 3 (to be done next year) was bedded with clear silicone. 
      The attached picture includes one of the 3/4 inch units I ran through the bead blaster.  I coated them with some anti corrosive spray after I was done.  If you do use a bead blaster on these leave the seacock open, don't operate it until all traces of the silica has been removed as it will get in between the ball and the seat and erode the ball.

Chuck

To unsubscribe, e-mail: ()
      For additional commands, e-mail: ()

Post generated from Pearson424 Forum using Mail2Forum

unabated
      Participant

When I did my seacocks, I found out that there are rebuild kits available….. new seals, seats and balls…….
      alan

— On Tue, 4/21/09, Chuck Ruble <> wrote:

Quote:
      <.. snip>

john stevenson
      Participant

Chuck,
      It looks like you have one seacock (the Groco with the butterfly valve –  The one you may have identified as Perko) and two ball valves (probably Conbraco).  The seacock can be dis-assembled and repaired.  I'm not a fan of the Conbraco ball valves.I'd replace them with Groco or similar.

John

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Alan P < ([email][/email])> wrote:

Quote:
      When I did my seacocks, I found out that there are rebuild kits available….. new seals, seats and balls…….
      alan

— On Tue, 4/21/09, Chuck Ruble < ([email][/email])> wrote:

Quote:
      <.. snip>

Chuck Ruble
      Participant

John, you are correct.  It is a Groco, my mistake.  All 4 of the original 1.5 seacocks on #27 are that same type.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM, John Stevenson < ([email][/email])> wrote:

Chuck,
      It looks like you have one seacock (the Groco with the butterfly valve –  The one you may have identified as Perko) and two ball valves (probably Conbraco).  The seacock can be dis-assembled and repaired.  I'm not a fan of the Conbraco ball valves.I'd replace them with Groco or similar.

John

Tor
      Participant

Chuck,

I pulled all my boat’s seacocks a couple of years ago, all Groco’s. They weren’t as green as yours, but most were frozen from the PO’s neglect and all required a thorough external clean-up, which I did on a wire wheel with good results. In the process I spoke with someone at Groco a couple of times and they were very helpful. One of the things I asked about was the lubricant for the big rubber stopper-plugs inside their 1-1/2″ seacocks. I knew petroleum-based products are detrimental to rubber and wanted to know what they recommend. Turned out to be a Dow Corning product called “111” (as in “Dow One-Eleven”). It took some searching to find the stuff to buy – none of my usual stores carried it. Finally located a bearing shop somewhere that mailed a tube of it to me for a few bucks. After 2 years in the water the seacocks still work as easily as the day I reassembled them. I’ve checked them all during my present haul-out, but none need any attention this time.

I now also use Dow 111 on all rubber seals, O-rings, gaskets, etc. It takes so little, one tube will last half a lifetime.

Tor
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Silver Heels, P-424 #17
      http://www.SilverHeels.us
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:

Original Message

<.. snip>

RichCarter
      Participant

Chuck
      Why on earth did you pull your seacocks? It sounds like a lot of work. Was there something wrong with them? Mine all look fine after 31 years. I inject some grease into the valves every few years to keep them serviced.

Regards
      Rich

Original Message

<.. snip>

Chuck Ruble
      Participant

Rich, a couple would move in their bedding when operated, most had visible streaks leading down the hull from leakage.  None have any type of backing plate between the seacock and the hull.  I'm a glutton for punishment? 

Tor, thanks for the note on the 111.  I'll post when I locate a source.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:56 AM, < ([email][/email])> wrote:

Quote:
      Chuck
      Why on earth did you pull your seacocks?  It sounds like a lot of work.  Was there something wrong with them?  Mine all look fine after 31 years.  I inject some grease into the valves every few years to keep them serviced.

Regards
      Rich

Original Message

<.. snip>

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.