Forums General Discussion Solar arch for a ketch

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ryan Doyle
      Participant

Hi All,

Curious if any of you out there have done a solar arch/davits on your ketch rig.

I’ve been talking to Atlantic Towers about their pre-fab, DIY arches, but they have only done one on a 424 without a mizzenmast. I’m curious to see how it would (or hopefully wouldn’t) interact with our mizzen boom and sheet.

Eager to get some davits on her and get our old flexible solar panels off the bimini top and swapped out for some solid ones.

Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and fair winds,

Ryan and Kathleen
      Juniper
      1983 Plan C Ketch

Attachments:
      1. IMG_0514-scaled.jpg

Bryan Bywalec
      Keymaster

There are a few 424’s with the Arch in a Box, I think they are all sloops or cutters though. Our boat – the cutter Pelican – has one. How far does the mizzen stick out from the transom. The froward cross bar of the arch is just about even with the transom in our case.

Ryan Doyle
      Participant

Hi Bryan,

Thanks so much. How do you guys like the Arch in a box?

Below is a more side-on picture of our stern. The mizzen sticks out about 3 feet from the transom. We met with a local fabricator who is giving us a quote for a custom 316 stainless arch that will go under our mizzen boom and aft of our mizzen sheet blocks.

My plan at the moment, is to put two 370 watt monocrystalline panels on this arch.

Eager to see where the quote comes in for the custom job.

Ryan and Kathleen
      Juniper
      1983 Plan C Ketch

Attachments:
      1. IMG_0571-scaled.jpg

Bryan Bywalec
      Keymaster

Take a profile picture of the transom, if you put a tape measure pulled out 3′ or so I can scale it. I’ll overlay the same picture of my boat and you can get an idea of what you are up against. Probably best to e-mail the picture at bryan@iwouldsaygo.com

Ryan Doyle
      Participant

Awesome. Thanks Bryan. I’m not at the boat now, but I’ll take the shot tomorrow. Appreciate the help!

Rich Harris
      Participant

I have solar on my davits.Two 150 watt panels. They are well clear of the mizzen boom. I’ll be at the boat tomorrow and can take some photos for you if you wish. Can’t give much insight on the install as it was there when I bought the boat.
      Rich Harris
      Forget Knot.

Bryan Bywalec
      Keymaster

Attached is a picture of what our arch looks like (with tape measure in the photo for reference). I also tried to overlay the photo you sent. It isn’t super accurate but you’ll see that the traditional arch-in-a-box size for a single mast 424 is going to interfere with the mizzen.

Another user sent me a picture of the arch on his boat that does clear the mizzen. I think the trick here is that one of the sets of feet are actually on the transom rather than the sides moving the arch aft far enough to clear the mizzen. I’ll try to put you guys in touch.

Lastly There is a photo of Rich Harris’ solar panels on davits under his mizzen to give you another option.

Attachments:
      1. IMG-1434-scaled.jpg

2. Overlay-.png

3. IMG_1189-scaled.jpg

4. image0-scaled.jpeg

Bryan Bywalec
      Keymaster

Attached is a picture of what our arch looks like (with tape measure in the photo for reference). I also tried to overlay the photo you sent. It isn’t super accurate but you’ll see that the traditional arch-in-a-box size for a single mast 424 is going to interfere with the mizzen.

Another user sent me a picture of the arch on his boat that does clear the mizzen. I think the trick here is that one of the sets of feet are actually on the transom rather than the sides moving the arch aft far enough to clear the mizzen. I’ll try to put you guys in touch.

Lastly There is a photo of Rich Harris’ solar panels on davits under his mizzen to give you another option.

Attachments:
      1. IMG-1434-1-scaled.jpg

2. Overlay-1-1.png

3. IMG_1189-1-scaled.jpg

4. image0-1-scaled.jpeg

Bryan Bywalec
      Keymaster

Attached is a photo of my arch with a tape measure pulled out three feet for reference. I also overlayed the two photos and it doesn’t look like the arch-in-a-box sized for a cutter/sloop will work with the ketch rig.

However, another user sent me a picture of his ketch with an arch that looks like what you want. I sent you both an e-mail to put you in touch and included the photo here.

Lastly, Rich sent his solar davit solution as another option.

I actually had trouble posting these photos myself… who runs this website? 🙂

Attachments:
      1. IMG-1434-2-scaled.jpg

2. overlay.png

3. IMG_1189-2-scaled.jpg

4. image0-2-scaled.jpeg

Bryan Bywalec
      Keymaster

Attached is a photo of my arch with a tape measure pulled out three feet for reference. I also overlayed the two photos and it doesn’t look like the arch-in-a-box sized for a cutter/sloop will work with the ketch rig.

However, another user sent me a picture of his ketch with an arch that looks like what you want. I sent you both an e-mail to put you in touch and included the photo here.

Lastly, Rich sent his solar davit solution as another option.

I actually had trouble posting these photos myself… who runs this website? 🙂

Attachments:
      1. IMG-1434-3-scaled.jpg

2. overlay-1.png

3. IMG_1189-3-scaled.jpg

4. image0-3-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.