Forums General Discussion Water tank overflow

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      kalinowski
      Participant

Filling the water tanks without overflow has always been a guessing game. If the tank is filled so the water level is above the inspection port, water escapes through the port into the bilge. It’s always been a challenge to attain the right water level.
      How have others delt with this?

Dan
      Jolly Lama #135
      Keehi Lagoon, O’ahu

cstewart
      Participant

I just accept that it is a good way to keep my bilge flushed out with fresh water. Also, it serves as sort of an audible alarm when the tank is full. I can hear the bilge pump running.
      Charlie
      OneEighty #54

RichCarter
      Participant

Odd, I don’t get this.  My tanks fill until water overflows from the vent tube into the bilge.  I try to listen to the sound of water filling and shut it off just before water starts running back up the fill pipe.

Rich

madsailor

I had the same problem.  Here's how I fixed it.

First, I redirected the vents into the deep part of the bilge (at the top). Next, I replaced those stupid inspection plates with real water tight ones. The ones Pearson used are meant to keep water out, not in, so overfilling them resulted in water running off the top of the tank. Finally, the vent tubes rather than going up two feet in the boat I laid out in an 's' turn going side to side on the tank top so that overfilling the tank won't result in over pressurizing the tank.

A 2' vent puts 1 psi on the tank. I was told the tanks are fairly weak.

So that's the reason for my solution.

Bob

kalinowski
      Participant
      I didn’t think of the tank vent (me…duh).  I’ve just found water on the inspection port and assumed that was the culprit.  Probably the vent overflow collecting there.  I do listen to water coming up the fill tube though and try to time it accordingly.  If some fresh water in the bilge is no problem, then I’m good.  
      Thanks
      Dan
      Jolly Lama #135
      Keehi Lagoon, O’ahu

madsailor

No, Dan,  those ports leak. But you must have had your vents moved or your clothes or underwear would get wet.

Pearson routed them into blind walls above and aft of the forward cabin sink and the hanging locker .

I found out the hard way.

I originall thought it was just the 424s but my friend's 35 had the same problem.

Bob

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.