Forum Replies Created
Yup, you’re right. I check today and at 32* 1000 cranking amps.
They make G24s up to a 1000A CCA if its a pure starting battery. Do you know your batteries rating?
Until recently I had two group 24 fla’s combined as starting batteries, had a bad cell in one and didn’t know it so fried both batteries. I replaced with one group 24 and no issues starting engine. W58
I don’t wanna be discouraging but my experience with Rig-rite is that they are not able to get parts to you quickly. I’m currently 6 1/2 weeks into waiting for a simple rigging part from them. Last year it took 2 months to get a furling swivel. Unfortunately for me they’re the only outfit that has parts for my Kenyon mast.
Sorry I’m no help in regards to your spreaders.
I redid our cushions two years ago. I kept the same arrangement that the PO had made as it works well for us. We have 3 back cushions(4” foam), the middle being shorter than the two outside cushions. They have a snap/strap attachment. Each cushion has a strap & stainless D-ring sewn to each end, on the face of the cubbies there is a webbing strap with snap attached which holds the cushions in place. There is a little gap between the cushions to allow attaching them. They are double sided so they can be turned around if one gets stained! I’ve never felt the cushion sink into the opening of the cubbies.
I did go with Sunbrella fabric. I chose the silica silver as I have done several boat interiors with this color and really like that it has some thread pattern so it’s not a homogenous color and it’s bulletproof for cleaning. Just yesterday I removed the covers, put them in a bucket with some bleach and dish detergent, agitated them for a bit, then layed them out on the dock and scrubbed with a deck brush! I don’t think there’s another fabric that will take that abuse. I took the photo’s below after the cleaning/drying and re-stuffing.
I went with new 5” foam for the bottoms which just fit snuggly under the cubbies and the table swings by with a little effort. I considered knee rises but thought that I might not like the look & feel when done with sunbrella, I feel like that’s better accomplished with vinyl.
Hope this gives you some ideas!
Thanks Ryan. I reused the backs as the foam was in good shape however I did replace the bottom foam. In doing so I made the bottoms about 1/4” too long so when compressed into the space the covers wrinkled some. I’m gonna have to pull them out and shorten them a bit. It shouldn’t be too hard of a fix, transporting them to the shop will be the hardest part.
Just redid my salon cushions as well, sure brightened things up a bit.
My cutter has the common layout, I think the “A” plan, pilot berth/nav table aft, galley to port with full head opposite, center folding table in saloon. The difference is that I have a fwd head to stbd in the vee berth. I get the benefit if dual heads and dual companionways. This was the second 424 for the original owner so he had some custom changes. I’m hin 220.
I’ve got some pictures for you, but they’re too big to post to the site. I can email them to you.
I don’t seem to have any but can take some this weekend.
Mine wasn’t rigged when we bought the boat either, so I rigged it based on what I saw on an IP.
It looks like I missed some requested information in my earlier post(couldn’t find my earlier post to edit it) so here is some additional info for Windward Star:
Unusual: The interior is the standard layout, centerline table, galley to port, main head to stbd. Windward Star had a second head in the v-berth on stbd side. I’ve not seen any 424’s with this particular layout.
1 user thanked author for this post.
I couldn’t comment on the conditions from personal experience, we ran away, but Matthew was a cat 2’when it passed Charleston. I’ve heard of 70+ mph winds.
We were anchored with about 1 mile fetch to the North, 150 yards to the West and East and a few hundred yards to the South. I had a 33kg Rocna on 170′ of 3/8″ G4 chain to the north and a 30 kg Bruce on 140′ of 3/8″ G3 chain to the south. I attached the Bruce chain to the Rocna chain about 30′ down from the bow. Above the Tee I attached (2) 5/8″-3 strand bridles, one 5′ shorter than the other. The bridles were constructed by putting an eye splice on each end and a chain hook in the middle to distribute the load to the cleats on either side of the bow.
We returned to the boat to find it just as we left it, including where we left it! We were very fortunate to have a good anchor plan. The primary bridle almost chafed through but we had back-ups just incase.
We set anchors on Windward Star yesterday then evacuated from Charleston Today. We’re out of harms way in Rock Hill, SC.
Hope everyone is safe.
JamesJust cleaning up from Hermine today, a spirited ride at the marina yesterday!